I have been focusing on other work lately and did not use DataScapR. I was using it today and found out that the data download in the score-creation module does not work properly. Furthermore, the blue background seems not to be consistent on other computers.
If you want to download historical datasets, you can go to Yahoo Finance and look up the data and save them from there. The added advantage is that you can simply put the maximum timerange (no need to look up when a stock was floated the first time at the exchange).
UPDATE 2: So it seems that Yahoo has stopped access to the data via their API. I am looking at a new way to get the data. I will keep you posted.
You can still download the toolbox here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2hjt7ba7j2nkmdn/AADM8qfzPtbglsotffi10C-La?dl=0
I have updated DataScapR again. The changes are as follows:
– in the historical datareading patch, the volume and adjusted price minimum were mixed up. I corrected the code for that.
– Yahoo seems to have changed its API character attributes for the realtime fetching. Whereas some attributes had an optional zero (for example s0 or s for symbol), this zero has been removed so that only s works. I redid the code for the JAVA object and included the new version in the toolbox-
– some minor layout changes.
The toolbox (in ZIP format) can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2hjt7ba7j2nkmdn/AADM8qfzPtbglsotffi10C-La?dl=0
Using DataScapR I created Vapourwaves, an installation that tracks eight stocks whose data drive oscillator banks, a granularisation and a Disklavier. I made a short video showing the setup which you can watch here. I also made a longer recording which you can listen to on Soundcloud.
Since releasing DataScapR, I have been working to improve performance and debug it. There were some things that I had not foreseen which gave errors but should be solved now. the improvements are as follows:
- Improved list processing in the score creation. You can now use very long datasets with ore than 1000 rows. Of course it will take a few seconds to process such lists but stability has been improved so it does not crash anymore.
- Addition of MIDI playback in the score creation. This allows you to hear the rolls and score and supports microtonality.
- In all three components: addition of menu’s so you can easily find a company to track. Of course you can still set the symbol manually. Watch out: over time, some symbols will become obsolete so check if you are receiving the data you want.
- Cosmetic changes: to make the look more consistent and prepare for Max 7, all menu’s have sharp corners. Colours also have been made more consistent over the whole toolbox. In the score creation patch I moved the graphical output to a separate tab so you have more space to see things clearly. In the realtime patch, I moved the message boxes containing the data to the lower side of the window.
- The patcher level has been cleaned up: I have replaced patch cords with send/receive objects to avoid cluttering. This improves legibility and creates function modules.
- I added a receive patch containing the receive objects for the Realtime component so you can use them in your own patches. this patch is located in the dependencies folder.
The updated version is available here. I hope you enjoy it. If you find any bugs, please let me know.
I made another minor adjustment to the toolbox: – the data were send out twice when converted from symbol to a float. I solved this issue. You can get the new version here
I have made some updates on DataScapR. There were some things I forgot to correct in the MIDI mapping patch for the realtime data.
– set receive: the mapping module now gets the data from the specific stock. In the first release I forgot to include the abstraction to do that.
– umenu’s updated: I put in the right items for the umenu’s.
You can download the DataScapR toolbox here
In order to improve DataScapR, I would like to gather some user feedback. I have created a Google forms questionnaire which you can access here. The link is included in the folder as well.
DataScapR is a MaxMSP toolbox for stock market sonification. The toolbox allows you to use historical and real-time data to create musical material or drive musical processes. While DataScapR offers an out-of-the-box operation, the modular nature makes it very easy to extend the patches as you wish. DataScapR is available for download and comes with a comprehensive manual as well as documentation within the patchers.
You can download the DataScapR toolbox here. The zip file contains all patches and JAVA/JS objects. The Bach framework and the ejies objects have to be downloaded on the following website:
DataScapR is written to be used in Max 6. When Bach will be compatible with Max 7, a new version will be released. If you have used DataScapR, please come back and fill in the survey. The link is included in the DataScapR folder.